Alice and Olivia skirts usually cost 100+ dollars, but I made this for about 15 (pleather, needles, thread). What a steal!
<-- Alice and Olivia
1. Buy your crap. It costs 14 dollars a yard or so for pleather at Mood Fabrics. I bought about 3/4 a yard of chocolate brown. It looks black in pictures. 3/4 a yard is really generous (I'm a US size 0 or 2 ish, 6 at H&M, children size 14 in jeans at Old Navy if it helps). Then I got the leather needles and matching thread. For the presser foot, I went the super ghetto way and put some tape on the underside of the foot. The zipper I got from an old pair of high waisted pants.
2. Cut out your crap. Cut out a 2 rectangles for the skirt and one for the waistband. It's better to have one really long rectangle but sometimes you can't cut out 1 really long rectangle. It needs to be like.. your waist*1.5 by length of skirt. The waistband is like.. 4 inches by your waist size+ 2 inches.
3. Sew that shit together. First sew the 2 rectangles into 1 long rectangle. Then start pleating it. Make a seam that holds the pleats together.
I swear, it's not spandex shiny leather. It's the lighting.
4. I heard that you need a waistband. Sew the waistband onto the skirt. Don't fold the waistband down yet. I mean if you want, go ahead. It was just difficult for me lol.
6. Hemming the skirt. I just chopped it off. Leather doesn't fray.